Other than the faith based approach and the elements of religion and Biblical scriptures most Christian drug rehab centers also make effective use of the famous 12 step program to carry out effective treatment of the patients.
The 12 Step Program is basically a set of guidelines that categorically outline the entire course of action that is involved in the suitable recovery from addiction behavioral problems or in that case even compulsion. The 12 Step Program was initially the original proposition put forward by the renowned addiction agency Alcoholics Anonymous AA. They mentioned the 12 Step Program as a unique method for recovery from drug abuse and alcoholism. This unique method has since then been successfully adopted which went on to become the foundation of the later day 12 step programs formulated by the Overeaters Anonymous Narcotics Anonymous the Debtors Anonymous and the Co-Dependents Anonymous.
Following are the 12 steps that comprise this program and are looked up to by most Christian drug rehab centers around the world. The recovering inmates at these centers are made to believe in all the 12 points and they are motivated in a way that they strive to achieve them as well. Following the course of these 12 fold paths an addict gets rid of addiction forever and lives a life of sobriety.
- Step 1> Initially the individual realize that they have no control over themselves.
- Step 2> They come to believe that there does exist a power greater that could help restore their sanity and normal life.
- Step 3> They are influenced to take the decision of turning their will and their lives over to God’s care as they start understanding God and through God’s help restore themselves.
- Step 4> They start making a probing and courageous moral analysis of themselves.
- Step 5> Next they learn to admit to God to themselves and to another humans the exact nature of their sins and wrongs.
- Step 6> They become entirely ready to have God remove all defects from their character.
- Step 7> They make a humble request to God to remove all their shortcomings.
- Step 8> They make a list of all those people whom they have harmed and make up their mind to make amends to each and everyone.
- Step 9> They start making direct amends to all these people wherever possible except when doing so might injure them.
- Step 10> They continue to take personal inventory and whenever they are wrong they try to make prompt admissions.
- Step 11> They go ahead and through prayers take part in meditation in order to improve their conscious contact with the Almighty praying only to seek the knowledge of God for all men and find the way to implement this knowledge.
- Step 12> The prior 11 steps obviously give rise to a spiritual awakening and hence the addicts carry ahead the message of their realization to the other addicts and ask them to follow these principles in everything they do.
Christian drug rehab centers encourage the individual to have faith in himself and God. This helps them derive strength to attain sobriety and happy life.